Friday, May 30, 2008

Destination: New York

So pretty sure my bath last night was amazing. I enjoyed it throughly. Anyway after going to sleep at 3:30-4, I had to be up at 6:30 for breakfast and driving to Niagra Falls. I slept most of the way, but took time out of the napping period to play the key game, the hat game (of which I despise greatly), and psychiatrist. The falls were really cool. I got to go to Canada, ay. I stopped by the gift store and bought some things then ran, literally, to American Falls for pics from the top. We wanted to go to the Horseshoe Falls overlook, but time prevented us from even walking to the first stop let alone making another one. We got back to the bus and drove out to Fayette, New York to the Peter Whitmer farm, which was really cool. They built a chapel to commemorate the organization of the church, and the chapel is used regularly by the Fayette Ward. The sister missionary told us of the Whitmer family and of some pretty cool stories. Then we went to the visitors center and to the cabin, where some translation of the golden plates took place. The other sister missionary said that Joseph Smith translated First Nephi through Words of Mormon on the farm. It was really cool. After, we all met back in the chapel and listened to a really funny elderly Elder speak to us- rather enjoyable. Then we drove to Palmyra, where we found our hotel, which is a pretty good one. I get my own bed rather than sharing with Al:) The Palmyra Temple and the Sacred Grove are just a few blocks away. For dinner, they basically gave everyone their own chicken. Joined with the macaroni salad, a cream puff, and a really good roll, it made for a decent change from the buffet setting. Afterwards, I joined up with Brian Chappell, Mindy Erickson, Gavin Anderson, Stephanie Horton, and Jayden from Wayne and we walked down to the Grove. It was so amazing. The spirit was so strong there. It was exactly like walking into a temple, but outside with birds singing and the gravel softly crunching when you walk. Brian and I broke off from the group and just walked by ourselves. It was really amazing. Its cool because you can tell which part of the Sacred Grove is actually the sacred part because the feeling gets weaker when you get towards the outside of the grove. Brian and I just chit-chated and walked back to the hotel. The rest of the night was filled with playing a very out of tune piano, playing signs, and just messing around. Today has been really chill, and I expect tomorrow to be super spiritual because we get official time at the Sacred Grove where I am going to do my daily study in the grove. I am so stoked. But thats tomorrow's blog.

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

Wow that sounds amazing. I hope I can do the whole Church History Tour sometime. Have fun with the rest of your trip!