Tuesday, May 27, 2008

CHT: The Beginnings

I figured I would start a blog to keep track of the many happenings of the Church History Tour. I am going to condense the first four days into one entry. Here we go: Saturday morning started actually with me finishing packing/packing/hurrying to get into town because I woke up late. It turned out to be a long day. Several hours of sitting in sometimes comfortable, but generally uncomfortable seats on buses, meeting new people, and watching the flatlands after the rockies go by. We stopped in pretty Colorado, before Denver, but afterwards it was just flat flat and well flat. We stayed in Colby, Kansas, then drove to Independence, Missouri Sunday and had a pretty cool time there.
We did our own little sacrament meeting (I was in charge of organizing the sacrament and it was scary because in S-town, we do things way differently than everywhere else. I am glad Luke was there helping) which turned out really cool. We toured the outside of the RLDS Temple
and saw the site of the Independence "temple." Brother Campbell gave some interesting insight about how we need to always follow the modern prophet's teachings because the Lord can change things around than what He previously said. Its the whole point of modern prophets.
Monday we basically started the tour. We went to Adam-Ondi-Ahman, which was really pretty and lush, then to Liberty Jail and Far West where the lessons taught superceded the place itself. Far West was accompanied with Bro Sperry and Bro Monson giving us lessons about the history and the Liberty Jail had sister missionaries serving there and their testimonies were really strong. That night was a FHE talent show where Gavin sang his medly, Lauren did her smartie trick, and there were several stand up comics that would fail miserably in real life. Tuesday, today, we drove from Independence to Nauvoo, stopping in Tom Sawyer's hometown. We went on a boatride on the Mississippi (which is behind the green glass door) then drove to Carthage Jail, where Joseph Smith was martyred. It was cool because the Praise to the Man celebration we did while I was a Sophomore gave me an opportunity to be John Taylor and it was cool to see how that short skit fit in with the whole scheme. I even got to play the piano while we waited for the movie to start:) I miss playing very mucho. We then drove to Nauvoo (while on the bus ride, I perfected the art of zonking out on the bus) where we settled into our hotel. Al and I took a short walk around the premises then went to dinner, which was pretty good. Then we did a short meeting, where I got to play the piano again! After, we played spoons, where I kicked trash and beat Tiph-Dawg in the final round. Now I am chilling in bed with Al, Cody, and Josh all asleep and I am going to join them:)

No comments: