Friday, June 6, 2008

Chillin' in Nauvoo

I forgot to spray the waffle iron, so my breakfast came in messy pieces. After sleeping in (if you call getting up just before 8 sleeping in) Nauvoo was left for us to wander as we please. I hooked up with Ashley, Jamie, and Brennon again and we walked down to old Nauvoo to stop at just a few more places. We hit the brick display, I being the only one who didn't go the first day, so we could get some bricks. Then we revisited the grave sites of Hyrum, Emma, and Joseph and stopped at the red brick store, both places are owned by the Community of Christ. Ashley and I played checkers, and I got kicked in the butt. We hit up the bus to take us back to the hotel to get changed for Baptisms. I buttoned up my shirt and tied my tie then walked down to Brennon's room and hung out til noon, when we loaded the bus down to the temple. The temple is so beautiful. As you walk inside, there are deep cherry stained chair rails and molding that matched the desk where they checked our recommends. There was an open door in the lobby, and inside was a the assembly room. It was made almost exactly like the Kirtland Temple, with the priesthood stands on both sides. Then the sister took us downstairs to the chapel, where we waited to get our temple clothes. They had white bound hymn books and scriptures, which I am rather jealous and I would like some:) ha ha Anyway they called us up and we got our suits then changed. We returned to the chapel and I sat down at the piano and played background music, which I love to do. Then we had a meeting, starting with they hymn "The Spirit of God" and concluding with a small talk from a councilor from the temple presidency. He told us of the hymn we sang and that President Hinckley said when the MoTab sang it at the Nauvoo Temple dedication, angels sang with them. It was a simple, yet cool meeting. Then they took us to be confirmed, then baptized. Its a really pretty font; its larger than the Manti temple and had an entrance and exit stairway. Jacob Henry baptized me, then I showered and got redressed. Outside the dressing room, another sister missionary showed us the spiral staircase, which lead from the bottom floor to the fifth floor (the top). We only walked up one flight, then they lead us out through the lobby and back to the world. Austin Anderson and I walked back to the motel to change and grab our wallets for lunch. While walking back down main (its actually Mulholland street, but its the main street) we saw a little store that sold "Walking Tacos" and was passing out free lemonade. We stopped in to see what they had, and it was really fun. They were really nice people; the one lady had a broken leg and had to trudge around in a wheelchair. The lemonade was great, and the walking tacos are bags of doritoes crushed with hamburger, lettuce, tomatoes, and other taco ingredients all mixed together. It was really good. Then we visited a bunch of other shops, and I feel like I spent my life savings today, but I didn't really ha ha. I more or less dragged Austin around to the different stores because all he wanted was a picture of the temple. Then we turned around and walked back to the motel and I took a wonderful nap. But I woke up late for dinner, so I walked down the road again to the buffet and had a pretty good dinner too. Our group reformed and we killed time til the show started. At 7, "Sunset on the Mississippi" started and we were there to watch all the missionaries serving in Nauvoo dance and sing and perform various acts. They had elderly missionaries and young missionaries all putting on the show. My favorite part was "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," which was a live string band (two guitars and two fiddles) playing that great song. It was amazing. The fiddlers were playing some hardcore riffs and it was awesome. Right after that show ended, the BYU Fold Dancers performed their show, and we stayed for that too. I love to watch that kind of stuff. Then we walked back to the hotel, but all along the way the four of us were cracking jokes and having a great time. We split to our various rooms, where I found my luggage a mess because, well, I am a messy person. Right after I finish, I am going to pack because I don't think I could do it in the morning. But now everyone in my room is asleep so I will have to do it quitely too.

No comments: