Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Few Thoughts from Monday and Tuesday

Jetlag has been awful. I didn’t sleep as much as I desired on the plane ride over the Atlantic, and all day Monday, I was very tired. To help us adjust, we needed to stay awake, so John and Shannon organized a day of activities to keep us going. We had a couple hours of free time, so Seth and I wandered around and got lunch. He also came suit shopping with me, and I noticed that the service from most of the associates we interacted with was not as friendly as they are in the States. The lady at the sandwhich shop we ate at for lunch was brisk and brief, as was the gal at the coffee shop when I grabbed a hot chocolate. At the suit store, nobody came to our aid as I wandered around the suit section; I had to ask for help (although when I did, they were nice and interactive). Maybe it is because I am an American: the two workers in the food shops were French, and maybe they dislike tourists. The gentlemen at the suit store were my age and British, so maybe there wasn’t as much tension there, but merely cultural differences in store associate/customer relations. We met up for a walking tour of Oxford, which was really nice, but I could not stay conscious. I kept falling asleep, even walking or standing. The lady that gave us a tour was very knowledgeable and responsive, but I’m afraid I missed parts because of my inability to stay awake. I still don’t know where everything is in Oxford, but I got better today as we walked around.

Our morning started off with a wonderful breakfast and an induction into the Oxford library. We all must take an oath to protect the library before we received our Oxford cards, and it was a neat ceremony. Our inductor, Helen, was brilliant. She was very well spoken and eloquent, maybe because she has told the story several times or maybe because it is culturally significant to be articulate. We were inducted in a wing of the Bodleian library that is right behind the place where they filmed all of the hospital scenes from Harry Potter. We took a tour of Duke Humphrey’s library, a wing full of old texts dating back to even the 12th century. The culture in the library is very different than the States: silence is critical, and even small conversations are unacceptable. We went into the small readers-only section (readers are those with library cards; keeps the tourists out) and caused a scene not because of our noise, but because of our presence. They subsequently kicked us out, but its interesting that such quietness is regarded so highly as that the mere presence would make people so upset. The culture is just different I guess, and we underestimated the power of a group of 28 quiet people.


Lunch today was also strange for me. I realized that my normal restaurant habits and requests make me uncomfortable because I think that culturally it might be strange. For example, I felt bad asking for tap water because it usually isn’t something you ask for. When you order water, they give you a bottle of water instead. I probably wouldn’t have done it had everybody else not done it, but it actually seemed not such a crazy thing to the server who put a lemon in the water. We also shared food, and I’m not sure if that is acceptable either. In an effort to be sensitive to the culture, I have become very paranoid of my American presence. Even though I do need to be aware, I don’t think I need to be so worried about it.

No comments: