Monday, December 2, 2013

T Gives

We bought a $85 turkey.

Yup. It wasn’t really our choice; we were invited by Elder Dalton, and he asked us interns to get the turkey. Ok, we thought. That will be alright.

Now where do you get a turkey in Ghana?

Just go to Kwabeng with a Ghanaian, and they can negotiate the price for a frozen bird. It should be around 150 GHC.

That’s $75.

Well at least it is split among five people. Hey, I remember seeing some turkeys running around Akokom. Let’s call Douglas and see if he can strike a deal.

170 GHC later, we have a live turkey delivered right to our doorstep on a motorbike. Not quite sure why we had to have an $85 turkey for Thanksgiving, but we have turkey at home, so of course we should have turkey here.

About six hours after we got the turkey, Stephen came home and slaughtered it for us. I have never seen a bird slaughtered, so I helped the whole time even though I was a little reluctant because that isn’t really my thang. Of course, he kept the head, feat, and some organs because Ghanaians eat every part of the animal. We just wanted the meat.

About 24 hours after we got the turkey, it finished roasting in the oven. The scent of turkey surprisingly did not fill the house, which kind of worried me, but it actually turned out really well. I tried to help, but Beverly really wanted to do the driving. I whipped up some garlic mashed yams, and we all gathered next door at the World Joy building to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal.

Elder and Sister Dalton host a T-giving meal every year. They invited many of the couple missionaries in the mission to come and eat. I hoped to see Elder and Sister Nielson, but I found out that they are headed home. Sister Nielson has been sick, and they need to get them home to get her attention. I was sad because I’d hoped to see them before I left, but I guess I will see them when I get home instead.

Elder Dalton and Elder Elmer barbequed chicken for everybody, and Stephen, Jr.’s wife Sonya brought PUMPKIN PIE. There was cranberry sauce, stuffing, green bean casserole, everything to make a real American Thanksgiving. There were also some Ghanaian dishes for the locals who did not like our American eats. The local Elders gathered along with some of the local Ghanaian members, and we all partook of the wonderful feast.

And when I say wonderful, I mean freaking wonderful. Of course I ate too much, then got a piece of pumpkin pie, Ghanaian chocolate cake, and Fan Ice (basically vanilla ice cream). Then somebody brought out apple pie. I did not have room for it, so I decided to just have a small bite of somebody else’s piece. Bad idea. It was the best apple pie I have ever had. Straight up. I found room for the extra piece of pie, but it came at a price. That piece of pie put me over the edge. But it was so wonderful.

We took a short nap then had to travel to Sankubenase for a meeting. The class there was super keen and responsive. It was fun to teach them, and we got some really good feedback about the system. It was tiring, though, because our Thanksgiving nap was cut short. We were there for a few hours, and we had a hard time finding a taxi because it was kind of late.

Stephen asked us to put together a song for our last Sacrament meeting in Abomosu, and we picked God Be With You Till We Meet Again. We were supposed to practice all week, but we all forgot until Saturday night late. I was almost in bed when I remembered, so I had to drag my butt up and round everybody together. We really sound good together; its pretty unbelievable that a random group of college students sound so well in a group. The song really hit me because I may not see them again until we meet at Jesus’ feet. I almost lost it during practice, but I kept it together mostly. I knew the next day would be worse.

We practiced again in the morning, and it was good. No babies. Even during the actual performance, I held it together. Until I sat down. I started tearing up bad. And I was on the stand, so everybody got to watch me cry. We were invited to bare our testimonies, and I kept my composure well. Stephen spoke a short minute and told us that we are like his children and he loves us like a father, and I lost it again. For the closing hymn, we sang Silent Night. I was already emotional, and hearing everybody’s voices sing in their lovely accent knowing it would be a while before I would hear it again made me lose it bad. If Silent Night was any harder to play, I would have fumbled that ball.

I was emotional. I was crying. I was so happy to have met them and so sad to leave. I felt Stephen and Margaret’s love for us, and I love them back. Then I heard right behind me a girl running up to the window, and she shouted, “Obroni!” The one thing I won’t miss. HAHAHAH I lost it even more, but I couldn’t stop laughing instead! I made eye contact with Elder Rane, who was blessing the Sacrament, and I laughed through the whole closing prayer.

Church was interesting, too. Instead of formal lessons, the branch had been randomly chosen to provide feedback to the church about their church experiences. For us literates, it took less than ten minutes, but for the other 90% who could barely read or were illiterate it took the rest of the two hours. We went around and helped everybody else fill his or hers out.  Church went by really fast, though, and we were home before we knew it.

I organized some of my stuff to get ready to head out. We don’t leave Abomosu until Wednesday, but I know we are going to be busy until then, so I wanted to be prepared. I also pulled out some stuff I don’t want to bring home so somebody could have here. When I was finished, it was perfectly timed with our leave to Douglas’ house. He invited us over for dinner, and I was super excited to meet his family. Travel was kind of ridiculous because of the lack of taxis working on Sunday, but we managed. His house is very Ghanaian, but it has cement floors and finished ceilings, which is probably more advanced than most. We had fufu, rice balls, and stew. I tried to chop some more fufu, but it was so hard. I started to gag about the 10th piece I put down, and after a few more, I had to stop. I even only took a half of a ball of fufu and still couldn’t finish half of it. The stew was really good though! I took part of a rice ball and finished my stew. We weren’t long which was nice because Margaret had planned a huge dinner for us when we got back.

Margaret prepared everything we loved for dinner: Npeho (garlic yam soup), geloff (with cinnamon!), spaghetti noodles with veggies, baked chicken, fried chicken, and corn on the cob. It was Thanksgiving all over again! She worked all day on dinner, and it was so worth it! They invited the Elder’s over, so they were able to partake of T Gives 2 as well.  After dinner, Margaret and Stephen sat us all down and gave us interns presents. We were not expecting that at all! Margaret gave us all African wear, and it is really nice wear! All of the men got African shirts, and the ladies got cool dresses. We all got bracelets, and the women got a little more jewelry. It was so thoughtful. They both told us again that we were basically their children and were welcome any time we come back to Ghana. They have done so much for us! What good people they are to let random strangers into their home, provide for their every need, then throw a wonderful party and give the picky strangers presents. It speaks to their generosity and righteous hearts, but we really aren’t strangers. One of my favorite lines in the song My Shepherd Will Supply My Need, a song I prepared with my ward choir two years ago, are the words, “There would I find a settled rest while others go and come, no more a stranger nor a guest, but like a child at home.” I really feel like one of their children here, always welcome, never burdensome, not quite a guest, never a stranger, but as if I could walk in the door at any time and have a meal, a bed, and love. They have been such wonderful parents, Ghanaian parents. Mama B was also here, and she has been so good to us too. I can’t forget her! What a way to experience a country and culture than to live with the people, eat like the people (mostly), work with the people, serve the people, dress like the people, even talk like the people. I have been overly blessed with this experience, and I can’t believe it will all be over in one week.


No comments: