Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ghana: An Introduction

The SEED program here in Africa is empowering. As the interns, we teach classes and give business loans to people who need credit to build their business. There are five of us here in Abomosu from USU: Garrett and Zandra Hansen, Beverly Jensen, Allen Follett, and myself. Douglas Paddy is the administrator for the program, and we interns live with Stephen Abu, Sr.

Garrett is the intern, and Zandra is his wife, and they are in their second year of marriage. They are about my age, but both are older than me. Garrett is from Cache Valley, and Zandra is from Washington state. Garrett and I will be teaching together, and Zandra makes me laugh with her attitude.

Douglas calls Bev his mother. Beverly Jensen is a 50-some-odd-year-old mother of eight children.  She left her husband and two youngest children at home to pursue her educational goals. She is doing a great job of adjusting.

Allen is the tall white man. He towers most of the people here, and he tends to stand out. He left his wife of one year home to come on this adventure, but he wishes she could have come along. I share a room with Allen, and he is the one that reminds me to take my malaria pills.

Douglas started as a translator for the former administrator, who was a white guy from USU. When he quit, Douglas took over because he knew most about the job. He lives in Akwadum (pronounced Aqua-doom) and put puts around on his motorcycle. He is awesome and funny, but I am mostly impressed with his maturity to work in the capacity he does.


I will write about Stephen later. He is an incredible man with an incredible story, deserving its own post.

No comments: